Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Autumn and Lily

The park near my home is telling me that autumn has completely set in. The orange, red, yellow of the leaves that had turned into brown is gone too. Thanks to the rain last Sunday, the leaves that were clinging on their branches couldn't hold on any longer and fell off. Leaving the tress behind to face the unforgiving winter alone. The park that was once brimming with life, color and excitement now lies barren, dark and lonely.

Just around the corner of this park is Hana kōnā, a small flower shop, owned by an old Japanese lady. Today, when I saw her setting up her shop for the evening, laying down the roses, tulips, lilies, daisies, orchids... Red, white, blue, pink, purple... sprinkling water over them and trimming the petals. I said to myself, "What! Spring? Now? Is this right? Surely, this isn't right. Why is she doing this? Why is she robbing me and everyone else the joy of waiting for the spring. When the buds will pop out of the branches and the trees will be full of beautiful flowers. Why can't we leave the somethings the way they are? Aren't we already we living artificial lives, manipulating our environment living in air conditioners and room heaters. Is there nothing called Seasons anymore?

I approached the shop, I read "Sale - only 198 yen per pc". The old lady saw me and gave me a little smile. I smiled back to her in response but more than that I was smiling over myself as I said to her, "One lily please!" and then said to myself, "Happy Birthday". :-)

0 comments: